Getting Started with Pear Deck
Beginner and quick tutorial with Pear Deck / PearDeck interactive presentation tool
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- New Employee
- Support Ticket
- Teacher Resources
- Human Resources
- BCSC Transportation
Getting Started with Pear Deck
System Preferences: Latest Chrome OS
Pear Deck is an interactive presentation tool that allows the instructor to include interactive questions, prompts, and engagement within a Google Slides presentation. The slides can provide teachers with real-time checks for understanding as well as provide more active learning experiences in the classroom. All BCSC staff have access to Pear Deck premium for the 21-22 school year.
- First, create a free teacher account at Pear Deck.com using your school Google account. Next, add the Pear Deck add-on for use with Google Slides. Open a slideshow, select add-ons, get add-ons, and add Pear Deck.
- After adding Pear Deck as an add-on, open Pear Deck by clicking the “add-ons” tab, select Pear Deck, and open Pear Deck add-on. It will open at the right of the screen.
- Click the “template library” to browse Pear Deck sample questions. Click a question to insert.
- You can also insert short audio recordings by clicking the “add audio to slide”. You’ll need to grant permission to your mic. A record window will appear and you can preview, pause, edit, or delete the recording before inserting it into a slide.
- To present, click “start lesson”. For asynchronous, click “student-paced”. For a live session, click “instructor-paced”. The session will open in a new window and will provide a link to be shared with students.
- For instructor paced sessions (live, synchronous), be sure to copy the link and share to students so they can participate. The session can begin when at least 1 person has joined.
- Guide the students through the session in real time. Use the bottom toolbar to add more questions, name the session, share student responses, and end the session to close responses.
To view results, a report will be generated and shared in Google Drive (called Takeaways). Additional reports can be accessed through the teacher menu on Pear Deck.com, via teacher login.
- Be sure to copy the link and share to students so they can participate, then click “Teacher Dashboard”.
- The session is active and you can view student results as they populate.
- For session settings, use the 3-dot button on the bottom toolbar. Be sure to give the session a name for easy reference. To leave a session but keep it open for students to work, click “leave”. To close a session and close student responses, click “end”.
- After leaving or ending a session, you can review results. Go back to the slideshow, with the PearDeck tab open, click the menu button, and select “review sessions”.
- All past and active sessions will appear. You can also get to this menu through visiting the Pear Deck website and signing in.
Additional Pear Deck best practices tutorial: