Google 2 Step Verification
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- New Employee
- Support Ticket
- Teacher Resources
- Human Resources
- BCSC Transportation
- Food Service
- Administrative Assistants Meeting
- Canvas Learning Management System
- Safety and Security
What is 2-Step verification? With 2-step verification, you sign into your Google account in two steps with something you know (password) and something you have (phone). You will be prompted to verify when logging into Google on a new device or browser.
Why is it important? 2-Step verification puts an extra barrier between the district and cybercriminals who steal usernames and passwords to access data. It is an important step to protect our data
Steps for setting up Google 2-Step Verification::
- Click on your account in the top right corner in Drive, Gmail, or your Chrome web browser
- Select “Manage your Google Account
- Select “Security” in the menu options on the left
- In the Security menu, click on “2-Step Verification”
- Click on “Get Started” and enter your password as prompted
You will see one of the following screens based on if you have a phone setup or not.
Click on the following links to through the path which you prefer:
- Setting up with the phone listed (phone that you have a BCSC gmail account on)
- Setting up with an alternative phone
Setting up with the phone listed
Click on “Continue”
Add a backup option. This can be another phone (cell or landline) or a list of codes that you can download or print. Click on “Send” if you choose a number or click on “Use Another Backup Option” and select backup codes. If you select the backup code option, you must make sure they are secure.
Setting up with an alternative phone
If you would like to use a cell phone, click on “Don’t see your device?” and follow the instructions to link your phone.
To use another option, click on “Show more options” and select “text message or voice call”
- Enter a phone number you would like to receive a call or text message to. This can be a landline phone.
- Enter the code that you receive to confirm that it works