FAQ: Secondary Summer Take Home
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- New Employee
- Support Ticket
- Teacher Resources
- Human Resources
- BCSC Transportation
- Food Service
- Administrative Assistants Meeting
- Canvas Learning Management System
- Safety and Security
Frequently Asked Questions
Secondary Summer Take Home
Audience: For students that are in grades 6th-11th
1. Why is BCSC sending home devices with secondary students?
BCSC supports the need for students to have the correct tools for opportunities to learn, create, and grow beyond the school year. Allowing the student to have their device for summer school, enrichment programs, counseling, and more increases the opportunities for students to learn year round.
One of BCSC's goals is to have devices in student’s hands from the first day of school to the last day of school. Allowing students to take home their device over the summer eliminates time for collection and distribution that occurs after school starts and before school ends.
2. Can my child opt out of summer take home for secondary?
- 6th graders will give the device, charger, and case to their current 6th grade teacher.
- Middle school students will turn their device, charger, and case into the media centers.
- 9th-11th grade students will turn their device, charger, and case into the school tech office.
Your student will receive their device at their next school in the fall. This will include if they are moving to a different BCSC school.
3. Is there support available over the summer?
Yes. Please call the hotline at 812-418-0252 and leave a message with your name, your student’s name, contact information, and a brief description of the problem. The hotline is available Monday - Friday, with the exception of Monday, June 19th and Tuesday, July 4th. Calls made by 2pm will be returned the same day.
4. What if we are not returning to BCSC next school year?
If you do not plan to return to BCSC next school year, the student’s device will be turned in at the end of the school year.
If you find out that you will not return to BCSC over the summer, please return the device to the school they will be attending the following year or call the hotline at 812-418-0252.
5. Are families responsible for damage?
Yes, families are responsible for any damage to the device. Invoices will be sent home based on the repair that is required to fix the device. Your student will receive a device on loan while their device is being repaired. To report any issues with a device, please call the hotline at 812-418-0252.
6. I have a Senior, do I take my device home?
No, seniors will turn in their device at the end of the year along with their textbooks.
7. What recommendations does BCSC have for care of the device over the summer?
The student will have their device for 4 years, so it is important that they take care of their device. We recommend the following guidance:
-Only use the device inside
-Do not have food or drinks around the device while it is in use
-Have a safe and established storage space for the device
-Define where and how it will be used
-Set limits on device use
-Do not add stickers or compromise any existing labels
8. Are there any resources available for device use for my child?
Yes, BCSC uses resources from www.commonsensemedia.org to help families navigate technology usage questions like screen time, appropriate websites or apps, and much more.
9. Will my child have BCSC internet filters at home?
Yes. Your child will have internet access restrictions in place while at home on their device. In July, 6th graders and 8th graders will be moved to middle school and high school internet filters respectively. Middle school and high school access is more open and includes YouTube’s strict filter and access to Wikipedia.
10. Are hotspots available over the summer?
If you are taking BCSC classes over the summer or have special services provided over the summer through BCSC, you will need to contact program directors to request and see if hotspots are available.
11. What if I go to a new school next year and opt out of taking home my device?
BCSC will make sure that your device that you left at your previous school gets delivered and is ready for you at your new school.
12. I have a 6th grade student and we are taking the device home over the summer. Will I be billed for any damages?
Yes, every secondary student will be billed for damage to their BCSC device. You can find out more information regarding costs and billing through your secondary school or under technology resources on the BCSC website.
13. How do I clean the device?
We recommend that you clean the device with screen cleaner sprayed onto a microfiber cloth. Do not directly spray the device with any liquid.